June 6, 2011

Must Read!!

I finished school last week (well sort of, I'm teaching 2 weeks of summer school :)), so I decided to start reading some books I've added to my list this year.  I love diving into a good book in the summer because you aren't forced to put it down too often! ;) Some co-workers mentioned the book Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo and said I'd love reading it.  Well, they were right, I loved it!  In fact, I loved it so much I read it in 1 day!!  I was hooked by the first paragraph of the prologue, seriously... it's that good!  I know everyone has a different perspective and idea of Heaven, but this book has forever changed my view of it.  As a little girl, I envisioned while pearly gates and streets of gold and happiness all around.  My imagination was both comforting and uplifting.

The book is about a 3 year old boy who has a health scare and his parents are pleading with God to return him to health.  The boy shares about his encounters in Heaven with his family during the months and years he returns home.  The most paramount thing I took away from the book was to have faith like a child.  I work with children 9 months a year.  I'm surrounded by their silliness and free-spirits, but it's so easy to bog yourself down with the stress and reality of adulthood.  I was so inspired by the book to pray as a child does, being specific about my requests and removing the "fluff" that we learn to make our prayers sound better.  God hears our every want and need, we might as well voice them and maintain communication.

If you have extra time this summer, read this book.  It will remind you of what it felt like to learn about Heaven and all its glory as a child.  Such an inspirational and touching story!!

XOXO,

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment