April 15, 2011

Finally Off the Rollercoaster!

I graduated in May of 2008 from Hardin-Simmons University in Abilene, TX with a degree in Early Childhood Education.  I taught Pre-K my first year and am about to finish my 2nd year of Kinder.  I love my job.  I've always loved school.  I was the little girl who looked up to her teachers and aspired to be just like them one day.  Yes, I have down days, but 99.9% of the time I love what I do.  I consider teaching to be my mode of ministering by loving on children who often come from broken or unstable homes.

I've been aware of the budget dilemmas, both on the state and federal level, for a while now.  I've paid close attention to the funding cuts because I have been on a probationary contract due to being a newer teacher.  I received a letter from our superintendent on March 29th stating that the school board was delaying action on my contract.  I sat in my principal's office and read the letter and couldn't help but shed tears.  I was crushed, but I had a choice... feel defeated and expect the worst, or keep my head up and trust that God would take care of me.  I made a deal with myself that day that every time I felt anxious or nervous or worried I would pray.  I found myself praying every few minutes (no kidding!) and just allowing myself to feel through the fear and let God comfort me. 

This Monday night, nearly two weeks after being notified of my delayed contract, the school board scheduled a special called meeting to vote on whether or not they would renew probationary contracts.  I chose to go to the meeting.  I felt as though I'd regret not being there later if I didn't go, not to mention I was trying to avoid the anxiety of wondering what they decided.  I showed up 20 minutes early to the meeting and shook hands with a few school board members.  I was determined to face this challenge head on and with courage.  The school board not only decided to renew all probationary contracts, but those who were eligible to move to term (no longer probationary) were able to do so, which is me!!  I was thrilled! 

The past two weeks were tough.  I  was fighting off the what-ifs and felt an overwhelming sense of self-doubt.  But throughout each moment of fear and anxiety, I felt the urge to pray.  I prayed consistently.  I prayed for peace and the Lord provided.  I have been blessed with an incredible support system of family, friends, and co-workers that have helped me remain strong throughout this difficult time.  I am proud to say that I signed my official contract for next year this afternoon! Yay!  I find joy in knowing I can continue my calling in educating deserving little kiddos.  I can officially step off the roller coaster and back onto stable ground.  But the fight isn't over yet.  I know too many educators who are still in limbo or have contracts that have not been renewed.  No matter what side you fall politically, pray for these people.  Pray they find peace and true comfort during these scary times.

XOXO,

Erin

1 comment: