September 8, 2013

Quote Me Fancy

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a sucker for reading.  I read fiction, nonfiction, poetry, song lyrics, and pretty much anything that has words on it.  I have a passion for writing and love playing with word placement and the emotions they create.  I have always been a sucker for quotes and am constantly looking to see how they can be applied to my life.  For me, it's similar to working with a tricky puzzle piece and the triumph you feel when making sense of where it belongs.  I came across this quote this afternoon and have been chewing on it ever since.  

"Chains do not hold a marriage together.  It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years."  ~ Simone Signoret

The words in these two sentences struck a chord within me upon first glance.  I love the imagery they instill and am intrigued by the simple message they represent.  However, it is the tug on my heart that makes it so special to me.  These words depict the work of a marriage over the years.  Two people working with one another to bind themselves together, not by force (chains) but by the hard work and time they put into the relationship (tiny threads).  We are human and each of us makes mistakes and fall short, but the beauty of a successful marriage is the other person is always there to pick their partner up.  "If one falls down, his friend can help him up.  But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up."  ~ Ecclesiastes 4:10.  I am by no means an expert on relationships nor am I claiming to have all the answers.  This quote was a simple reminder of what my outlook should be and makes me thankful for the partnership Chris and I have.  He is the partner God had intended for me and I am blessed by the growth we have made during both good and bad times.  I pray we always focus on the slow, blessed process of sewing our tiny threads together.

XOXO,
Erin


No comments:

Post a Comment